Key US Soccer officials depart, Berhalter’s future uncertain
US Soccer sporting director Earnie Stewart and men’s team general manager Brian McBride have decided to vacate their positions amid an ongoing shakeup at the organisation, the federation said on Thursday (Jan 26).
Stewart will remain in the job until Feb 15 to ensure a smooth transition before heading to the Netherlands to join PSV Eindhoven.
The federation said it was seeking a new sporting director, who will be charged with hiring the men’s team’s next head coach after Gregg Berhalter’s contract expired at the end of last year.
Anthony Hudson will serve as the men’s coach until a permanent head coach is named, and US Soccer said it has hired Sportsology Group to lead the search for the next sporting director.
McBride said he had decided to move on from the role he has occupied for three years prior to last year’s World Cup, in which the team reached the round of 16.
It has been embroiled in turmoil since returning from Qatar amid a bitter dispute between Berhalter, U.S. midfielder Gio Reyna and his parents.
After the World Cup Berhalter made remarks criticizing teenager Reyna’s commitment to the team and effort at the international tournament, saying that he even considered sending him home.
Reyna’s parents, who have known Berhalter and his wife for decades, responded by informing the federation of a dispute between Berhalter and his wife outside a bar 31 years ago that turned violent, prompting an ongoing investigation by US Soccer.
Berhalter has said he regrets kicking his wife of 25 years in the legs during the 1991 dispute and that they ultimately reconciled and learned from the incident.
He has said he hopes to be rehired as the team’s head coach and US Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone has said he is a candidate.